Wednesday 28 September 2011

Mapping the Change - week 2

Last week's session was all about excitement and inspiration.  This week was all about getting down to the writing - and all the planning, research and preparation that goes with that. 

I have known for a long time that the biggest barrier in the way of me becoming a writer is the assortment of distractions that drift in and out of my day, to entice me away from my desk and pens.  Sometimes the distractions are legitimate: doctors appointments, urgent trips to buy hen food because there is none left, testing someone on their spellings, cooking supper.  But more often the distractions are utterly ridiculous: rummaging on Pinterest, descaling the coffee machine, admiring the athleticism of the neighbour's cat, fretting about the straightness or otherwise of my fringe.

Sometimes you just need to sit down and bloody write.  How difficult can that be?  Really?

So this week I have a style guide to read, journalism protocols to understand, homework to write and research to do.  I'm also setting aside a big chunk of time to do some more reasearch for the book I'm writing.

Let's see if I get it all done.  It's not the planning that's impressive - it's the doing.

Research
Research for my Sheffield book

No comments: