Friday 21 October 2011

Others' experiences

One of the best things about the Mapping The Change course has been meeting all the guest speakers.  In just five weeks we've met an awful lot of people:
Each one of these people has shared their knowledge and enthusiasm with us in a way that has been very motivating.  As a result of all these meetings, I feel less like I am an imposter in someone else's world, and more like somebody with useful ideas to contribute.  They have all suggested possibilities of working with my writing in the future, and for that I am very grateful.

I've also loved going back to the City and Canary Wharf, where I worked in finance for so many years, and seeing these places with a different perspective.  They were physically such inspiring places to work, and although I knew that at the time I appreciate them so much more now that I am based at home.

Southwark Bridge
Southwark Bridge, close to The Financial Times' offices

Today I've been talking to various Press Offices, and introducing myself on the phone as a journalist.  I could not have imagined doing that five weeks ago, but now it seems perfectly reasonable.  Others' experiences in journalism and writing are supporting me in my own.

No comments: